Monday, May 07, 2007

Love your parents

A friend told me:

父生我身 is the beginning of a confucian litany on filial piety. the message is honor thy parents.

It is apparently taught to koreans as part of the school curriculum. students are made to memorize the entire litany.
the entire litany is very long, but you can find it here:
http://www.zl169.com/MINGDA/read_user_news.asp?ID=127

It emphasizes the depth of a parents love for a child and the importance of reciprocation and piety
The first few lines are:
父生我身,母鞠我身。腹以怀我,乳以哺我。以衣温我,以食饱我。
恩高如天,德厚似地。为人子者,曷不为孝。
My father raised me, my mother nourished me.
A bosom to hold/cherish me, a breast to nurse me.
Clothing to warm me, food to feed me.
Kindness/graciousness higher than the sky, values/morals thicker than the land.
The son of a man, why not be filial?

Not sure if the translation is that accurate, but things that are 2500 yrs old are hard to translate, but you get the idea...it is very traditional, goes into things like when your parents enter, you must stand and bow, when your parents order you to do something, you must comply etc...

No comments: